Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Non-Fiction Analysis: Why the Best Books Are Written in Blood

    In “Why the Best Kids Books Are Written in Blood”  by Sherman Alexie, he responds to the article “Darkness Too Visible” by Meghan Cox Gurdon. Alexie explains his theory that YA fiction is beneficial to those who are suffering. He supports this through a series of real-life examples, including his own experiences from his childhood.
    In “Darkness Too Visible,” Gurdon states that dark young adult novels, that depict traumatic events, such as; rape, abuse and drug addiction can affect those who have dealt with such experiences negatively. Alexie scoffed at this statement, responding with a personal example, “When I think of the poverty-stricken, sexually abused, self-loathing Native American teenager that I was, I can only wish, immodestly, that I’d been given the opportunity to read ‘The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.’ Or Laurie Halse Anderson’s ‘Speak.’ Or Chris Lynch’s ‘Inexcusable.’ Or any of the books that Ms. Gurdon believes to be irredeemable.” Sherman Alexie, having been a broken young adult, wished that he had been able to read YA fiction that may have had graphic content, as a child. He believes that if he had read these books, it would’ve helped him cope with his hardships in a better way, understanding that others had the same issues as he did.
    When Sherman Alexie talked at a conference for high school student, many of them had read his book, and were inspired. Mr. Alexie spoke of his personal struggles growing up, with addiction and mental illness. “Two years ago, I met a young man attending one of the most elite private high schools in the country. He quietly spoke to me in agony What kind of pain could a millionaire’s son be suffering? He hadn’t been physically or sexually abused. He hadn’t ever been hungry. He’d never seen one person strike another in anger. He’d never even been in a funeral. So what was his problem?
‘I want to be a writer,’ he said. ‘But my father won’t let me. He wants me to be a soldier. Like he was.” He was seventeen and destined to join the military. Yes, he was old enough to die and kill for his country. And old enough to experience the infinite horrors of war. But according to Ms. Gurdon, he might be too young to read a YA novel that vividly portrays those very same horrors. ‘I don’t want to be like my father,’ that young man said. ‘I want to be myself. Just like in your book.’” This demonstrates two things; one, if he is too young to read YA fiction that depicts war, according to “Darkness Too Visible,” then how does Meghan Cox Gurdon expect young men and women to prepare themselves, and understand the horrors of violence and loss at war? This also demonstrates that this young man was inspired by Sherman Alexie’s autobiographical book, “The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.” Although this young adult has his differences from Mr. Alexie, he still has his own hardships.
    Sherman Alexie has written a beautiful article responding to Meghan Cox Gurdon’s article,”Darkness Too Visible,” elaborating on his theory stating that YA fiction helps the suffering mind, opposed to, as Gurdon had stated, deepening the wound; “And now I write books for teenagers because I vividly remember what it felt like to be a teen facing everyday and epic dangers. I don’t write to protect them. It’s far too late for that. i write to give them weapons-in the form of words and ideas-that will help them fight their monsters. I write in blood because I remember what it felt like to bleed.” He emphasized the emotion through touching stories of young adults who suffer, and how he had suffered.

5 comments:

  1. Your essay is very beautifully written. I love how you added the part about the young man who has never seen angry violence and has never been hungry. It is sad that his father want him to fight in wars while the young man wants to be a writer, not a soldier. I can tell that you spent a lot of time on this, nice job and great quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, this is great, but where's the part about what you think? Review the critical analysis structure in your notebook. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the immediate feedback Ms. Rear. Should I edit my blog post, or should I leave it be?

      Delete
  3. Great response! You really put a lot of effort in such a gigantic text :) I also really like the different things you quoted for example the seventeen-year old kid or what Megan Cox Gurdon pointed out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well written, you have well chosen examples. The article you discussed was interesting because it is from the view of a YA writer. I also think it sounds particularly fluent.

    ReplyDelete