In
“Thirteen Reasons Why,” by Jay Asher, there are several moments when I
cringe, and resist reading anymore. I did finish the book, however, and
found that the book had a theme of sexual creepiness. Throughout the
novel, Hannah Baker is harassed in several ways, realistically. It is
possible for me to be victimized in the way Hannah Baker was.
Hannah
had committed suicide and left behind thirteen tapes, thirteen reasons
why, stating why she killed herself; specifically who. Everyone had done
something that was awful, jerky, or creepy. On one tape she tells the
story of Tyler Down; a Peeping Tom. Tyler was the photographer for the
yearbook at Hannah’s high school, and decided that he needed pictures of
his own, of the student body. Hannah explains her encounter with him
outside her house when she isn’t fully dressed, and he snapped a shot.
Although this isn’t the worst of what Hannah had been through, this was
the one story that had me resist reading anymore the most. This could
happen to me. There could be someone watching me from the window. It’s
something that could realistically happen, and is the creepiest.
Hannah
also witnessed things that would disturb anyone; she witnessed her
friend get raped. Clay Jensen and Hannah were at a party; after Clay
left, another couple stumbled in. The guy left, and the girl lay
unconscious on the bed. That’s when Justin Foley came in and raped her.
Hannah was still in the room, but she stayed hidden. That is what
disgusted me the most. The girl had a chance not to get raped, but
Hannah let it happen, and she agrees; “Justin, baby, I’m not blaming you
entirely. We’re in this one together. We both could’ve stopped it.
Either one of us. We could have saved her. And I’m admitting this to
you. to all of you. That girl had two chances. And both of us let her
down.” Hannah could’ve done something, but she didn’t; this made me
resist reading the book for a couple days because I was so disgusted by
the character.
Overall,
the author Jay Asher does an effective job at making you cringe in
“Thirteen Reasons Why,” with one girl who witnessed and experienced
awful things that ruined her, and took her life. I resisted reading this
book for more than a week because of the depiction of when high school
life is at its worst.
Sara- your analysis of this book got me intrigued. I'm really interested and i'll start reading it as soon as i get my hands on a copy!
ReplyDeleteI love this post! You state your opinion so well and you use great details. You made me curious about the book and now I think I might read it. Great job!
ReplyDelete