“The
Giver” by Lois Lowry is a young adult novel set in dystopian earth.
Everyone lives in a perfect community where everything is the same. At
age 12, children are put into the job that they would potentially thrive
in until they would be “released.” To make this world perfect the
“Chief Elder” controls how the world works, and the human emotions. At
the beginning of each day residents of the community must take
injections to numb their feelings. The “Chief Elder” offers a great
injustice, she takes away the people’s freedom.
The
protagonist, Jonas has been assigned the job as the Receiver. This job
is assigned to one person every ten or so years. Jonas is an average boy
in the community, he goes to school, he volunteers and he takes his
injections. As the new Receiver he meets with the Giver everyday. The
Giver provides information on what the world was like with history and
laughter, with joy and emotion -- with colour. The community lives in
black and white because the “Chief Elder” has taken away colour.
The
‘Chief Elder” is the superior of the community, she chooses everything
for everyone. This is a great injustice because no one ha freedom. They
don’t understand what real emotions feel like, they don’t understand
what the real world is like. Instead they abide by strict rules and all
they do is make sure the community is healthy and they reproduce. She
has taken away the freedom of the people, they aren’t allowed to do
anything.
We
live in an era where we have freedom of speech, we see in colour, and
although we hate to, we make mistakes. “The Giver” is really about the
world that w could be living in, but instead we are rewarded with this
one.
Hi Sara,
ReplyDeleteThis post was really really good. I read the giver a few years ago, but now I am going to read it again, because after reading your post, I realize I did not get as much out of it as I could, because I was young and unable to understand a lot of what was going on. My favorite part of this post was your conclusion, because you linked it to the real world and it turned pretty inspirational. Keep up the great work!
Hi Sara,
ReplyDeleteThis post was really really good. I read the giver a few years ago, but now I am going to read it again, because after reading your post, I realize I did not get as much out of it as I could, because I was young and unable to understand a lot of what was going on. My favorite part of this post was your conclusion, because you linked it to the real world and it turned pretty inspirational. Keep up the great work!